Monday, November 9, 2009

Tempt My Tummy Tuesday ! Beef Bourguignon

Photobucket
This is a previous post for the summer but i thought it would be good for TMTT !! Just click on link to check out other post's.
OK so on Sunday i did my version on the Julia Child's "Beef Bourguignon" I did stay true to the basic of the recipe but i put my own twist on how long i cooked it for and so on.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Started with 2 1/2 pounds of Rump roast cut into chunks
1 pound of whole Mushrooms
14 0z of Pearl onions- i used frozen
8 to 10 carrots peeled and cut up
6 Large Garlic cloves minced
2 bunches of fresh thyme
4 Cups of Pinot Noir wine
3 Cups of Beef stalk or broth
1 to 2 tbsp of Bacon fat !! Yes you'll need this don't skip it!!
and Salt & Pepper to taste
1/4 cup of fresh leaf parsley to garnish

Directions- Cut beef into large chunks " on the bias" Place in to a large pan on medium heat to brown.
in another sauce pan put 2 tablespoons of bacon fat and add the Garlic and Thyme move around to to create an infusion of the flavors. turn off the heat under the pan. and pour about 1/2 cup of the wine in to the pan to cool the ingredients down.
Now some recipes say pour the infusion mixture ( i removed the big parts of the thyme) after it was all infused. Over the top of the beef in it's pot and add more wine to submerge 75 % of the beef and refrigerate over night ! But i did all this but the over night part ! I decided i didn't have time for this step so i started to cook it over a medium heat for about 3 hours and here is where i added the 3 cups of beef stalk and Onions,Mushrooms,carrots ans Salt & Peppered it covered for 3 hours and when it was done i made a Slurry ( Equal parts cornstarch and water ) to thicken up the stew. I severed it over Mashed Potatoes and garnished it with fresh parsley. It was rich and full of flavor i think next time i will sever it over Noodles or rice because the stew is full of body and flavor i felt the potatoes made for a heavy dish and noodles might lighten it up a bit!
Photobucket
Finished product ! So yes this was my first Julia recipe but not my last.
Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. This looks delicious!!!! I make a version by Tyler Florence which seems very similar! Love it with mashed potatoes and/or egg noodles!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Connie, 4 cups of wine! Looks yummy! With the cooler weather which means snow around these parts, this looks like a good, stick to your ribs meal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I've never had this, but it looks like a perfect autumn/winter meal! Thanks for the recipe!

    Nice blog - I like the background! I'll be back :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog is beautiful and I REALLY appreciate you stopping by!

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am SO inspired to go and make this in my blue pot. Wasn't the movie just delicious?! Love your blog sweetie and I'm so glad I found you. Come stop by for a slice of San Francisco...

    ReplyDelete